As the cooler fall weather approaches, you’ll see more people spending time outside. Many people enjoy riding motorcycles for recreational fun or a cheaper way of getting around town. Unfortunately, there is a growing trend in the number of motorcycle fatalities and accidents each year, making motorcycles safety a real concern for riders. Read on for some basic tips to help you arrive at your destination more safely.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
- Motorists fail to see riders when they are coming out of a driveway, making a left turn in front of an oncoming rider, or when the motorcycle is in the driver’s blind spot
- Riders speed excessively while also weaving in and out of traffic lanes
- Riders are under the influence of drugs or alcohol – the cause of almost half of all motorcycle accidents
How Can Riders Remain Safe?
- Always wear a helmet, eye protection, a jacket made of denim, nylon or leather, long pats, boots, and gloves
- Attend motorcycle training courses and get a license specifically for a motorcycle
- Do not drink alcohol or use drugs while operating a motorcycle
- Read the owner’s manual and learn the capabilities and operations of the vehicle
- Practice using the controls and gears by sitting on the bike while it is off and parked
- Follow posted speed limits
- Turn on your headlines all the time, even when it is sunny
- Look out for hazards such as potholes, cracks and bumps in the road
For a print out of more motorcycle safety features, feel free to email email@example.com and we will assist you instantly. Enjoy the fall weather on your recreational vehicles but be sure to use full caution and be aware of other drivers.